Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Chastisement of Sons - Part Two

Joseph Herrin (03-27-2012)
















Beans, Glorious Beans!


As anticipated, the response to the last post where I spoke of Yahweh breaking my leg was mixed. There exists a remnant who have embraced a message of divine correction and the fear of God. However, the majority in the church reject the notion that Yahweh would inflict injury or suffering upon His children. The very suggestion offends those who have been influenced by the prosperity preachers who teach that God is all love and mercy and kindness while ignoring His holiness and severity.

Tragically, the majority in the church have become conformed to the image of the lost and apostate masses of mankind whom the Psalmist describes, and the apostle Paul quotes, in the following words:

Romans 3:18
"There is no fear of God before their eyes."

The reason there is so little holiness in the church today is that the church does not fear Yahweh. The apostles feared Him, and they urged the church to do the same.

II Corinthians 7:1
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Acts 9:31
So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace, being built up; and going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it continued to increase.

The church today wants “the comfort of the Holy Spirit,” but they reject “the fear of the Lord.” One lady wrote in response to the previous post declaring that we are not under the Law, but under grace. She has been inculcated with the doctrine of cheap grace which gives a person liberty to sin with impunity. In her mindset, which is quite common today, the fear of God is an Old Testament matter. Her admonition to me was that Yahweh is not to be feared today, for He is a God of love.

Please, if this is your thinking, carefully consider the following passage which is New Testament. Not only does the apostle state that Yahweh is to be feared today, but that Christians should have even greater fear than those who had only the Old Testament. This is brought out in the phrase “Of how much worse punishment...” Look for these words in the passage below and see how they are used.

Hebrews 10:26-31
For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The Lord will judge His people."  It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

I confess that I was continuing in sinful behavior that the Father had previously given me instruction and correction in. It was not only just that He should inflict this discipline upon my physical body, but it was a merciful act, one in which He showed much restraint. He could have brought a more severe correction and would have been justified in doing so. My heart cries out, “Thank you Father for your patient correction of your son. I want to share your holiness. I do not want to be disqualified to inherit those good things You have planned for my life. Help me to stand, and to be an example to others of an overcoming son who is ruling over the passions and desires of the flesh.”

The Father is already giving such help. I will share an experience that occurred the same day I posted the blog regarding my re-breaking my leg. I was sitting with my leg propped on a pillow and my computer in front of me. The thought came to me that “nothing changes unless something changes.” I had heard this saying previously, and there is wisdom in it. I pondered that if I wanted to have victory over the appetites of my flesh, and get down to that weight the Father had prescribed for me and remain there, I would have to take definite steps to do so. The change would not come without some alteration to my previous habits.

As I thought on what I could change practically, the thought arose in my mind that I should look into recipes for rice and beans. I knew beans to be a very nutritious food source, and they come in great variety. They are low fat (actually no fat unless it is added in the cooking process), and are quite hearty and satisfying. Many consider beans a humble food. I remember an uncle telling me that, growing up very poor, his family ate so many beans that when he became an adult he never wanted to eat another one. Beans have been a staple for the poor. This is why they are associated with “soul food,” that humble fare that was eaten by the African slaves brought to America. Humility is the order of the day, so eating this humble food appeared to me to be in keeping with the Father’s will.

(I have already removed most meats from my diet at the Father’s instruction. This was a personal word to me, and I do not share it as an universal instruction for the body of Christ. Having become diabetic for a short period in 1998, and having a heart attack about 5 years ago, the Father has dealt with me strictly regarding my diet.)

After thinking about rice and beans for a moment I went on to other matters, but the Father brought me back to the subject of beans when a sister in Christ sent me an e-mail about thirty minutes after the thought had first popped into my head. This sister shared the following:

I too struggle with the same area of my flesh Joseph.  Awhile back I discovered beans as a wonderful food and I believe a godly one.  I'm sending you a story about beans that I have shared with many from Daniel that I love to tell.

The first word in the follow-up e-mail, in capital letters was “BEANS.” There was then a little story of Daniel and his three friends in Babylon eating beans. The e-mail ended with a recipe for black beans.

This sister’s correspondence bore witness to what the Spirit had spoken to me just a short while earlier. I was confident that the Father was giving me direction for making alterations to my diet. Without a plan I would surely make spontaneous eating decisions that would be driven by my natural appetites. I needed to take action to make changes to my diet. The Father was directing me to make beans a key part of my diet.

Now, some might be thinking, “Beans sound so boring. Surely God would not make you eat beans as a major portion of your diet.” I believe He would. Yahweh has been speaking much about a wilderness experience for His saints. As a pattern, Yahweh gave the Israelites manna to eat in the wilderness. Diet was a very integral part of that which the Father used to humble His people. Manna was good, tasting like wafers with honey, but the flesh craves variety. The flesh is not content with eating to meet the body’s need for nutrients. It wants entertainment.

Bear with me a moment as I explain this matter. I am not saying that it is wrong to eat foods that taste good. Nor am I advocating that Christians adopt a bland diet to become more spiritual and less carnal. What I have shared consistently in my ministry is that as a disciple of Christ we need to be content with whatever the Father chooses for us. He does not always give us “the bread of affliction.” At times He provides milk and honey, grapes figs and much variety.

In the wilderness Yahweh had a specific work to accomplish among His people. During the centuries they dwelt as slaves in Egypt, the children of Israel had been slaves to their fleshly appetites. Yahweh wanted to set them free. He wanted them to find their satisfaction in doing His will rather than in sating the flesh. He therefore tested them by depriving them of the variety of foods they had known in Egypt to see if they would be content with what He provided for them. We know the outcome. The people complained bitterly as if they were suffering some great adversity.

Numbers 11:1
Now the people became like those who complain of adversity in the hearing of Yahweh; and when Yahweh heard it, His anger was kindled, and the fire of Yahweh burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.

What was the people’s complaint?

Numbers 11:4-6
The rabble who were among them had greedy desires; and also the sons of Israel wept again and said, "Who will give us meat to eat? "We remember the fish which we used to eat free in Egypt, the cucumbers and the melons and the leeks and the onions and the garlic, but now our appetite is gone. There is nothing at all to look at except this manna."

This was not adversity. The people were not suffering. God gave them all they needed for their bodies’ nutritional needs to be met. Their complaint was purely carnal. The flesh clamored for satisfaction through excitement and stimulation. God wanted His people to find their satisfaction in doing His will. Yahweh will deal similarly with His people today. The Israelites are set forth as an example to the church.

I Corinthians 10:1-6
For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; and all ate the same spiritual food; and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness. Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved.

What was the evil spoken of here? It was being dissatisfied with Yahweh’s provision. It was murmuring and complaining against God because He was not pandering to the people’s flesh. As Yahweh brings a remnant of His people through a wilderness experience in these days they too will be tested in similar ways. We are urged to not fail as the Israelites did.

I Corinthians 10:7-11
And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play."  Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Yahweh has not told me to eat only beans and rice. I am to make these items a staple of my diet, however. In truth, I like beans very much. Yahweh is gracious. Will I still like them as much  a year from now? I trust that I will be content with whatever the Father chooses for me. The grace of God will certainly be sufficient for me to walk without murmuring or complaint.

I Thessalonians 5:18
In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Yahshua.

After receiving this instruction from the Father I put some black beans on to cook in my crock pot and I went shopping for a rice cooker. Whole grain and brown rice is much healthier to eat than the highly refined instant white rice that is so popular. They also take a lot longer to cook. I did not want to use my propane to cook rice for an hour and a half on the stove, so I purchased an electric rice cooker that also steams vegetables. George and I had a very good meal that evening, and quite satisfying.

My point in sharing this is that if you too are sensing the Father’s hand of discipline in your life, if you are sensing the need to break free of old habits and to establish new ones, then you may need to take definite steps in order for these changes to be effected. “Nothing changes unless something changes.” Ask the Father to show you how to bring forth the changes in your life that will be pleasing to Him.


Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws    

Parables Blog: www.parablesblog.blogspot.com    

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Excellent, excellent, excellent! You inspired me by your previous blog and now this one continues the process. I recently soaked and cooked five pounds of various types of dried beans and froze what I did not use in portions that will be useful in cooking. Dried beans are much cheaper than canned. Beans are indeed glorious as far as I am concerned. Rice, too! We have done much study on manna and quail in the last year or so. Your comments are a confirmation to us of what Father has shown us. Some want to equate quail (meat) with the written Word and manna with the revealed Glory of God. It was presented to us that we had been too much in the Word and needed to balance our diet with some Glory. We came to see that we already had a balanced spiritual diet and that those who desired more manna ("glory") were "fed up" with the word and wanted to seek experiences. Father showed us clearly and without equivocation that there is no need to seek spiritual experiences. He will provide what we NEED! HalleluYAH! Blessings, brother Joseph.
Kevin

Joseph Herrin said...

Thank you Kevin for your comments. Regarding what the manna and quail represent, one Biblically supportable understanding is that the manna is Christ, or the Word. Christ declared in the Gospels, "I am the bread that came down from heaven." Also, the manna was described as having a flavor like wafers with honey. The Psalmist compared the word of God to honey on his lips.

The quail represent man's desire for flesh. Yahweh gave the Israelites quail when they complained that all they had was manna to eat (symbolizing Christians who find that Christ alone, and the word of God, do not satisfy.) When the Israelites asked for "flesh" to eat God sent them quail.

Exodus 16:8
And Moses said, This shall be, when the Lord shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full; for that the Lord heareth your murmurings which ye murmur against him: and what are we? your murmurings are not against us, but against the Lord.
KJV

Quail in this instance serves as a symbol of that which the flesh nature craves. Just thought I would share this alternate view.

May you be blessed with peace and understanding in these days.

dc said...

A quick healing for you Bro. Joseph.
Sorry to hear about your injury ~ here's some verses that seem edifying and profitable (building up in the LORD of Truth).

"Embraced by His Grace"

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Ephesians 3:7
Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

2 Thessalonians 1:12
That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Steve said...

Psalm 119:67
Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.

Psalm 119:71
It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.

Psalm 119:75
I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me.

Psalm 118:18
The LORD has chastened me severely,
but he has not given me over to death.

Brother Joseph,

This has been my experience as well. Be encouraged. I praise God that he loves me enough to discipline me.

Providentially, I was reading an old writing by Thomas Watson. I quote: "A gracious soul is thankful and rejoices that he is drawn nearer to God, even though it be by the cords of affliction. When it goes well with him, he praises God's mercy; when it goes badly with him, he magnifies God's justice. When God has a rod in his hand, a godly man will have a psalm in his mouth...(just as David did)....PREACH BROTHER - PREACH!

Susan Reed said...

Dear Brother Joseph, Once again your word has touched my heart. I know that God has allowed all that is happening to me to bring a change. The change I have been praying for. I also need healing in my body because of disobedience. I pray for His ability to make these changes in my Life. I know now this body is a gift. One given to us to be the Temple where Yahweh and I can become one. Thank you for you words of love and please keep me in your prayers. I also love beans and pray to be what He intended me to be according to His will and purpose. Much Love Sister Susan

James and Sandra Steuber said...

Brother Joseph,

I have experienced at places I have ministered that many of the Body of Christ have for years, swallowed a message of grace and love only.

Their Leaders or Pastors even have rejected the message of judgement and correction. I pray that they could see and that there eyes would be unveiled to see that Judgement and Correction is part of God's Love to set things in order that has been out of order.

It reminds me of the valley of dry bones. Bone came again to HIS bone.

Bones and joints were out of place and God is setting them in order to usher in the supply of His Spirit to bring change that has been lacking.

He is transforming us and transfiguring us from a natural body to a spiritual body.

18 years ago I moved to Chillicothe Ohio. We moved to Columbus, Ohio and now have found ourselves back here in Chillicothe, Ohio.

We were going through a foreclosure and did not know where we would go. We found this place here for rent or rent to own. We came here not having any money.

On the way up, before we turned on the road where the house was we seen mile marker 22. Then we met with the owner and the box number is 22. I went to look for work and the place I applied was on Chillicothe Street in Columbus, Ohio. These were all signs for me.

I ended up getting work as licensed journeyman meat cutter.

The number 22 stands for cutter or cutting away of the flesh. We have ministered this message of cutting away of the flesh for years.

I wondered if we were where we were supposed to be but now I know God has had my steps ordered. The cutting away is not just for those whom we minister to but it has been for me throughout the years as well.

God usually cuts me first. I thank God and fear Him. This fear has left the church.

WEhere this message of fear and judgement is rejected, sin moves in and begins to take over and people become comfortable in their religious institutions and doctrines. God is pulling out the remnant. A church within a church.

Pulling many that will heed out of religious doctrines. This Harlot Babylon Church.

I Thank God for your ministry! You've been a blessing to us!

In our prayers!

James and Sandra Steuber